Port Orleans turns 20 years old on Tuesday 17 May 2011

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

Port Orleans turns 20 years old on Tuesday 17 May 2011

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

The first three buildings of the original Port Orleans Resort - the section that is now known as French Quarter - originally opened their doors to the public on 17 May 1991, two decades ago. Riverside - or Dixie Landings as it was then known - opened a year later on 2 February 1992. Now the combined resort offers a total of 3,056 guest rooms and employs around 1,200 cast members.

The latest issue of the WDW Cast Member magazine “Eyes & Ears” features an article on the resort, saying that the cast member celebrations this month will focus on the French Quarter and will include a cookout, birthday cake, commemorative keepsakes and recognition of about 15 cast members who have worked there since opening day. It does not mention whether there are also any guest-accessible events planned.

“We say it’s the place where Disney magic flows with Southern charm,” commented Valerie Bunting, general manager of the resort, in the article. Born in Virginia, Valerie loves the New Orleans area and said she feels quite at home at the resort which she has managed for nearly two years. “I’m in heaven here. It transports you back to a quieter time. You’d never know that you were in the middle of the Walt Disney World Resort.”

“When I’m just walking by the river, I see people sitting on benches just at peace with themselves,” said Valerie, who has been a cast member for 35 years. “It’s a haven.”

I'd just like to add grateful thanks to Valerie and her whole team for the work they put in to keep this resort looking as picture-perfect as it did on opening day twenty years ago - perhaps even better now that the foliage and vegetation have had a chance to mature - and ensuring that the visiting guests experience a fabulous and truly magical stay. Here's to the next twenty years.

Happy Birthday Port Orleans!
JEANYLASER

Re: Port Orleans turns 20 years old on Tuesday 17 May 2011

Unread post by JEANYLASER »

Happy 20th Birthday POFQ and Many more! 8-)