Port Orleans Riverside 20 years old today - Happy Birthday!

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

Port Orleans Riverside 20 years old today - Happy Birthday!

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

20 years ago today, the first section of the brand new Dixie Landings resort (the 1,024 rooms of the rustic Alligator Bayou lodges) opened to the public. This was to be the first of two distinct areas, which would later include the Magnolia Bend mansion buildings.

Following a name change and merger with its sister hotel in April 2001, that resort is of course now better known to us as Port Orleans Riverside. For more details of the resort's background, please see our History page, and also a new blog posting today on the DisneyParks Blog.

So if you're there today, don't forget to pop along to the lobby nice and early and pick your free birthday cake while it lasts.

Although I can't be there in person today, I'd like to pass on my own grateful thanks to General Manager Val Bunting and her whole team for the hard work they put in to keeping the resort running smoothly and looking as picture-perfect as it did on opening day twenty years ago - perhaps even better now that all the foliage and vegetation has had a chance to mature.

As Walt Disney was always keen to point out, it's the cast members who ensure that the magic happens - and apparently nearly 150 of them have been at this resort since opening day. It's their dedication which ensures that visiting guests experience a truly magical stay laced with Southern Charm, and they are directly responsible for so many visitors returning to Port Orleans year after year - including me! Thank you everyone, and here's to the next twenty years.

Happy Birthday Dixie Landings / Port Orleans Riverside!

Update:

Here are a few photos of the decorated lobby and anniversary cake, and the presentation for the opening day cast members who were all given a special glass ornament featuring a steamboat design to celebrate their 20 years working at the resort.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Port Orleans Riverside 20 years old today - Happy Birthd

Unread post by Admin »

Added a link to a new blog post on the DisneyParks blog, http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... -20-years/, which includes an early construction photo of the resort's main buildings.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -