First Stage of Riverside Lobby Refurbishment Unveiled

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

First Stage of Riverside Lobby Refurbishment Unveiled

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

The first stage of the Port Orleans Riverside Lobby Refurbishment has now been unveiled and we have a few photos to share. Work will continue on the other side of the lobby very soon, and during that phase checkin facilities will be at the new desks while concierge services will be operating from in front of the River Roost Lounge. The likely completion date is now looking to be around 22 June according to Bob Jackson's revised schedule.

These new desks are currently located where the old online checkin was situated, but eventually that section will be empty and they will be moved over to where the current front desk is. There are a few elements which still need to be added, such as light poles and a foot bar across the bottom:

According to what I was told, the new floor tiles are on the left and the older ones on the right, but I'm not sure about that[Edit: see update below]. The original carpet (see above) is due to be replaced during the next phase too:

I can't wait to see this finished - given the level of detail we can see so far, and the quality of the finish, I think it will look really beautiful.

Update 20-May:
The more I look at this photo the more I think that all of the above tiling is new. I'm sure the older tiles were lighter and more neutral in colour, and the grouting was darker. I was going by what I was told by the photographer about the right-hand side being old, but those darker tiles look far too new and match so perfectly with that gorgeous decorative strip that I think they must all be new. Also the original hard-wood border between the tiles and the old carpet is gone.

Update 22 May:
All of the tiles in the above photo are definitely the new style. The remaining two-thirds of the lobby has now been walled off, and construction work there has commenced (mostly overnight after 11pm). Registration/checkin is now being handled from the new desks, which are currently facing outward beside the corridor to the games arcade.
stuart

Re: First Stage of Riverside Lobby Refurbishment Unveiled

Unread post by stuart »

Friends of ours arrived yesterday and report the lobby is still being worked on and behind the screens. Will likely hear more details from them today.
Dixie Landings / Riverside Stays: Oct 96; July 97,98,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,15.
Back: June 23rd 2016
Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Stage of Riverside Lobby Refurbishment Unveiled

Unread post by Admin »

Sorry, was going to post with a news item tomorrow (see note in http://www.portorleans.org/rehab.php#100612). The latest info is that the lobby will now reopen on Monday, as it took a few extra days for a special treatment on the floor tiles to be applied and to fully set.

The main checkin functions should be working from the new lobby during the day on Monday, with concierge services transfering back there from their temporary location in the River Roost Lounge on Tuesday.

If anyone can get any pictures and upload them or email them to me on Monday and/or Tuesday, that'd be great.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -