General News Updates, including RFID door lock installation

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

General News Updates, including RFID door lock installation

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

Brand new ‘RFID’ locks are being installed on the doors of all guest rooms during October. French Quarter is now complete [17 Oct] and Acadian House and then the rest of the mansions will come next, followed by Alligator Bayou. These new locks are triggered by tiny proximity-activated chips embedded within the key cards which are issued to guests, allowing the door to be opened by simply placing the keycard near to the new Mickey-head sensor on the door (this one is from Acadian House; the Royal Rooms will have a slightly different style):

This is much easier to use than the old “slide in, pull out” method as far as guest access is concerned, and it also has a number of advantages from an operational point of view. For example, it will no longer be necessary to reprogram keycards at the front desk in the event of a guest issue or a room change, but simply to remotely reprogram a different door lock to accept the same card. The upgrade process should be transparent to guests, who could be issued with chipped Key to the World card in the morning and then return after a day at the parks to find the updated locking system is now on their door.

Support poles for new hammock loungers were reported to have been installed last week alongside the pathway just beyond the fishin’ hole on Ol’ Man Island. Apparently there are going to be eight of these located around the resort, sounds like a lovely little addition. [Update] Here's an image of one of the three new hammocks now located on Ol' Man Island:

General work has been continuing around the resort, such as upgrades to the pathways and bridges around the Alligator Bayou section to provide easier access for guests with impaired mobility.

The parking lots outside of the main lobby buildings at both Riverside and French Quarter now have rather ugly metal mesh fences around their perimeters. Also the first parking lot exit at Riverside (closest to the South bus depot) has been blocked off, leaving just the second exit, closer to the main road. Presumably this has been done for pedestrian safety reasons, but you would have thought it would have been possible to find some fencing that was more in keeping with the theming of the resort rather than this rather nasty generic metal barrier.

The old flip-over price menu boards at the Riverside Mill food court are now gone, replaced by cabinets for flat-screen displays. Until the electronic displays were ready recently, printed signs were being placed in front of the screens daily for the breakfast and lunch/dinner menus.
RiverRooster

Re: General News Updates, including RFID door lock installat

Unread post by RiverRooster »

The electronic menu boards are up and running at Riverside, and great improvement over the "card board" inserts that were up during the transition!
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Great, many thanks for the local info, glad they're working now. After the screens were installed, they were using white overlay cards with both the breakfast & dinner menus printed, and then switched towards the end of August to black card versions which were changed over for the different meal times. I wonder when the TV screens were finally switched on? And I guess I need some photos of the new screens in action now!

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I've just updated the news post with a couple of photos of the RFID locks and one of the Hammocks.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
SuRoUK

Unread post by SuRoUK »

The menu screens were working in Riverside Mill when we arrived on Sept 19.
RiverRooster

Unread post by RiverRooster »

I was at Muddy Rivers last night and there are some changes being made to the seating. All of the tables and chairs have been moved away from the open porch area of the pool bar deck and two rows of lounge chairs have been added. A cast member advised that guests were complaining there were too few place to get sun. The area of the deck nearest the play ground, once the designated smoking area, now has quite a few of the tables, with the remainder located near the bar and the access ramp that leads to the sidewalk. The smoking area was reportedly moved to an area near the campfire. Interesting changes...
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Ironic, the first thing I look for in a poolside chair in Florida is being OUT of the sun! :) But I guess they do call them sunbeds, so people expect to be able to get roasted on them. Rather them than me, anyway! Also, I'd have thought sunbathers wouldn't really want to be lying half-naked right up close to the people sitting at the bar stools anyway... I think I'd need to see some photos of how it's now laid out to work it out in my head.

I guess putting the smoking area next to the campfire makes sense though, you'll get smoked either way. :)

Andre
royhan

Unread post by royhan »

I read recently that the tables have been removed from outside the food halls. Are there any plans to put them back?
Adler12

Unread post by Adler12 »

This techniques is quite simple and more safety features as compare to older look style. Guests and Disney visitors appreciate this step taken by the authority which increase the safety parameters. After the screens were installed, they were using white overlay cards with both the breakfast & dinner menus printed, and then switched towards the end of August to black card versions.