In-room coffee makers replaced with Cuisinart dual-pod units

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

In-room coffee makers replaced with Cuisinart dual-pod units

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

All of the guest rooms at Port Orleans French Quarter and Port Orleans Riverside now feature new Cuisinart dual-pod coffee makers, which have gradually replaced the old 4-cup filter machines over the past month or so.

These new units can make two cups of coffee simultaneously, using coffee pods which are inserted into trays through which hot water is passed. Free pods are supplied, which will be replenished daily by housekeeping.
jeepster93

Re: In-room coffee makers replaced with Cuisinart dual-pod u

Unread post by jeepster93 »

Is there any word on what brand of coffee pods they supply? I ask because I've got celiac disease and need to check on their gluten free status. :roll:
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Disney provide Cuisinart pods. Photo shamelessly linked from a PhotoBucket post:

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
jeepster93

Unread post by jeepster93 »

Excellent, thanks! I am also glad they have the Twinings tea!
bill2012

Unread post by bill2012 »

Can anybody tell me if these coffeemakers can really be used to make tea? Or are they like most in-room coffeemakers, which cannot really be used to make tea (even though hotels sometimes deny this and even provide tea bags) because the hot water tastes like coffee? Does this type of coffeemaker isolate the coffee from the rest of the system so the works don't pick up a coffee taste?
snikreps

Unread post by snikreps »

Just got back last week.

The works will pick up the coffee taste. They're like 2 little coffee baskets and the water is going to touch the coffee making parts, so unless you bring your own vinegar to clean the unit first...
bill2012

Unread post by bill2012 »

Thanks for the info!

It's so frustrating that hotels supply coffeemakers but nothing to make tea. They just give you useless tea bags!
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

You could always ask them if you could have one of the old coffee makers (I think they held a few back in stock for anyone who really wanted one) and use that for making tea. Or just bring a travel kettle.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Real mad hatter

Unread post by Real mad hatter »

So I take it there is no way you can put one tea bag in one and the coffee in the other and let the water go thro both of them?
snikreps

Real mad hatter wrote:So I take it there is no way you can put one tea bag in one and the coffee in the other and let the water go thro both of them?
Sure you can, they're 2 separate baskets, each with a unique water reservoir and 'Brew' button. Though I'm not sure how well the tea bag will work. I imagine that much of the hot water would flow around the tea bag and not penetrate the tea leaves themselves. The provided Coffee bags fit snugly into the basket and prevent water from going around the bag.

I also would ponder how well the baskets were cleaned out last. I doubt they scrub between the fins at the bottom of those baskets very often.

Tip for coffee drinkers: Half the water, brew both baskets, then combine the two half cups for 'WAKE-UP' juice! :shock:

Stephen
Real mad hatter

Unread post by Real mad hatter »

Cheers,that means we can leave out our travel kettle and bring a small toothbrush to clean the machine. :lol:
ady321

Unread post by ady321 »

Anyone know if you can ask for extra coffee pods?? Not sure how many you get in the room as standard, but we need at least 2 or three cups each to start the day off well.
snikreps

Mousekeeping will replenish up every day, so you'll have 2 when they are done, I'm sure if you contact them, they'll give you more.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Yes, just ask Mousekeeping for extra.

Andre
kjeffries

Unread post by kjeffries »

I think this is a great service, nothing you can complain about it!
It's great to get the chance to make some coffee. For a coffee-junkie like me this is very important! I'm really thankful for offers like that. btw. Do there also exist some specials offers in christmas time? Because I'm already thinking of some christmas hampers ideas [Admin edited to remove possible spam link] and I want to make a trip!
Last edited by kjeffries on June 21st, 2012, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

There are several places in Orlando that do hampers (or gift baskets) for delivery to the Disney Resorts. Disney do some themselves, but off-site places might be better if you want food/etc added. UK sites won't be much help though, unless they deliver VERY far away! :)

Andre
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

My wife will probably LOVE this! OTOH, I'm a tea drinker that also doesn't care for coffee tinged water in the brew. Guess I'll stick with bottled drinks in the fridge....if there is one. ;)
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Could you not (after cleaning) just put water through with no coffee pod, get a cup of hot water, and then add the tea bag ?
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Two problems there I suspect. One is that the coffee taste is generally rather strong and hard to remove. But also, for proper tea, you need to use fully boiling water (not just boiled, but actually 'bubbling' boiling) which coffee machines don't produce.

Andre
pdrazine

Unread post by pdrazine »

The last time I went, I brought a heating coil to make tea. They're not easy to find anymore (used one often in college many years ago!) but are small and not very expensive. :)
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Never been a tea drinker by choice... only drink it when it's polite to do so. say you ask for coffee, and are brought tea by somebody you don't want to upset, like prospective parents in law, interviewers etc.
jkl2000

Unread post by jkl2000 »

I like to use a slightly better grade of coffee than those pods have, so I bring small, regular coffee filters and ground coffee, and I can usually somehow manage to make the regular filters fit the machines by tearing off some of the filter. Will be giving that a try with these things. Because usually if you just use the pods the coffee is way too weak. Also need to supply fresh milk...