French Quarter Lobby Refurbishment / POFQ Panorama Photos

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

French Quarter Lobby Refurbishment / POFQ Panorama Photos

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

This spring will see Port Orleans French Quarter's turn to be given a brand new look for its main registration lobby area. Tentatively planned to start sometime in May (details to be confirmed) the refit will be similar to the work completed over at Riverside last summer. During the period while the current lobby is closed, all checkin and guest service functions will take place at the old Bonfamille's Cafe restaurant, just across the central atrium next to Scat Cat's Club.

This also seemed an ideal opportunity to create an archive 360-degree panorama photo of the original lobby design before it is gone forever, and that along with several other Port Orleans French Quarter panoramas are now available to view on our new French Quarter Panoramas page.
gingerellies

Re: French Quarter Lobby Refurbishment / POFQ Panorama Photo

Unread post by gingerellies »

Any idea how long the refurbishment is expected to take?
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I assume that as it's being done all in one go, and the lobby is somewhat smaller than the one over at Riverside, it should take less time than the two months that was needed for Riverside. Maybe six weeks or so? I'll post more details when I get them anyway.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Stef

Unread post by Stef »

We are there until 7th May - I hope they don't start until after we leave!
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

I remember them doing work on the Riverside circular Lobby and then down the side of the registration room to the arcade when we first visited in 2009. they pulled the boards down the day we left, and it was only then that we got the full majesty of the building.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Stef wrote:We are there until 7th May - I hope they don't start until after we leave!
The lobby refurbishment work is due to start 15 May and will last about two months, should be done by mid-July.

Anyone visiting in the meantime will get to visit the old Bonfamille's Café, which has not been accessible to guests for more than ten years.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
trysaratops

Unread post by trysaratops »

We will be visiting May 20-24 and just received a notice of this construction in the mail. Do you think rooms will be able to hear the construction? Will our time spent at POFQ be comprised at all by this? I'm just concerned and need some expertise to calm my worries! Thanks in advance!
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

trysaratops wrote:We will be visiting May 20-24 and just received a notice of this construction in the mail. Do you think rooms will be able to hear the construction? Will our time spent at POFQ be comprised at all by this?
No, as I said in the news post, the work will only be in the check-in lobby area, which is isolated away to one side from the main entrance atrium, so you shouldn't experience much impact at all - and certainly not in guest rooms, as they are in separate accommodation buildings.

Andre
RobOSX

Unread post by RobOSX »

Last night (July 10th) after 10 PM, work began to take down the construction walls. By breakfast this morning, touch-up painting was being done and a strange water leak was being fixed on an upper window frame.

Two days ago the lobby fountain was sanded and repainted and was working this morning.

It also looks like the registration desk is open, but some reorganization continues.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Yes, operations will begin transitioning back to the main lobby today/tomorrow and it should be completely open by Monday. Don't suppose you got any photos did you?

Andre