Musician Tom Casey joins Port Orleans French Quarter

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

Musician Tom Casey joins Port Orleans French Quarter

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

Now that the lobby refurbishment at Port Orleans French Quarter is complete, entertainment offerings at Scat Cat’s Lounge will resume on Friday, July 19.

Musician Tom Casey will join Scat Cat’s Lounge, performing a dynamic blend of piano and jazz vocals. Tom has previously performed at a variety of venues across the Walt Disney World Resort, including providing vacation cover for French Quarter's previous resident musician, Elliot Dyson.

Performances will take place Friday through Monday at 8:30pm, 9:30pm and 10:30pm. There are no performances scheduled on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays.

Update on 10 Aug:

I watched the last hour or so of Tom's set last night. His style is very different from Elliot's, it's no longer a jazz theme but more of a piano-accompanied mix of rock/pop standards (he also has stored backing/rhythm tracks on a laptop, and he does requests). He's very good though, just somewhat different to what you might expect if you're used to Elliot's music.

Tom has just set up a Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/TomCaseyAtScatCats - which oddly doesn't seem to come up in searches, but that link works - so pop along there and Like him to see his posts.
shoemakers4

Re: Musician Tom Casey joins Port Orleans French Quarter

Unread post by shoemakers4 »

As soon-to-be first timers at Port Orleans Riverside I think this is PERFECT for French Quarter. It gives me a little more incentive to go visit French Quarter.

However, another piano act at Port Orleans?! Maybe they are looking at it like this... You can go to Riverside for a good show and some laughs or you can go to French Quarter for a more traditional jazz piano act.

Either way or whatever the reason, I'm just glad to see they are not forgetting the live acts!
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I watched the last hour or so of his set. His style is very different from Elliot's, it's no longer a jazz theme but more of a piano-accompanied mix of rock/pop standards (he also has stored backing/rhythm tracks on a laptop, and he does requests). He's very good though, just somewhat different to what you might expect if you're used to Elliot's music.

Tom has just set up a Facebook page, www.facebook.com/TomCaseyAtScatCats - which oddly doesn't seem to come up in searches, but that link works - so pop along there and Like him to see his posts.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Andre,

New member here but an old hand at POR (all the way back to the Dixie Landings days--I still have the mugs :D ). Thank you for this site and especially for the updates on the change at Scat Cat's. I was hoping that someone would post some info on Tom Casey's show, as I am not familiar with him from other WDW venues. Well. maybe I am but just never knew his name. Anyway, a night or two at Scat Cat's, with Elliot of course, has always been a major part of our stay at POR. I'm still in a state of disbelief that Elliot is no longer there and am greatly disappointed at this unfortunate turn of events. However, I am willing to give the "new" guy the benefit of the doubt, subject to guest reports and, eventually, my own observations.

From what you are saying, it appears that the connection that Elliot had with the audience may be lacking with Mr. Casey. Elliot was always great at working the crowd, and was even kind enough to allow me to sing a song for my wife when we were there. Others were able to participate at various points, so he was not adverse to sharing the spotlight. Again, he was a class act and a great Disney Ambassador. I think it will never be the same, but am interested in the reports from others on this situation.

Again, thanks for a great resource and all of your hard work.

swd
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I really do think we need to give Tom a chance. He's very a talented guy and it was a good show, just a bit different to what we're used to. Many of the choices of music he played were based on audience requests, so that dictated the styles of music for the evening. Have a chat with him, he's very approachable.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -