New beds

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
Vacationer2588

New beds

Unread post by Vacationer2588 »

I have been staying at port orleans since early 1990's and we have always raved about the comfort of the beds here. Our most recent stay with the new refurbishment was great besides the new mattresses that were used. Now i know i am not alone when i say this but these new mattresses are awful. This was a big letdown for my favorite disney hotel. I stayed here for a friends wedding and we stayed in the new royal guest suite and a king room. Both rooms had the same mattress even though one was a queen and one a king. Both seemed to be equally uncomfortable. We woke up every morning with back aches and i am not kidding. They really cheapped out on these new mattresses very unfortunate. Until these beds are changed out again I don't think i could stand another week long stay here. I contacted disney directly to inquire about the renovations and asked them if all the moderate resorts have the same new mattresses and they told me after some research all the moderate resorts right now have the same beds. The only thing they recommended was requesting an egg crate layer to be added when you book. Im sorry but that is not going to help much in my opinion. Everyone in our party for the wedding was unsatisfied with the beds but i am wondering if anyone else was unhappy with the new beds? If anyone has stayed recently after the new reno please let me know if you found the beds to be comfortable or not.
Thanks
ethicaladdict

Re: New beds

Unread post by ethicaladdict »

I'm so sorry to hear that - having a sore back is no fun! As a fellow sufferer I completely understand your concern. My question is - what is uncomfortable about the bed? Is it too soft, too hard, sag in the middle, feel the springs? I appreciate any other further information you can give me as this might change my mind about booking at POR.
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

I also have a bad back from time to time and I can't say as I've noticed. Sitting slouched sideways on is what does me in though, not sleeping badly.
I did notice the size difference over the value resorts though.
Vacationer2588

Unread post by Vacationer2588 »

The mattresses were very hard and not giving. Hard to explain but if you sat on one corner of it the rest of the bed would be pulling towards you. You could def feel the springs and hear them creak as you sat down on them. We stayed in the royal guest room first and when I did my usual first time flop on the resort bed i thought wow these are bad. I had just thought hmm maybe these are the new mattresses for these rooms our king room must be better but unfortunatly it was the same bed, just larger. I am not trying to bag on this resort because i love this resort and have stayed here countless times, i just hope they change the beds out every few years so that i can continue to stay here on future vacations.
ethicaladdict

Thanks for the specifics - I really appreciate you letting us know. I didn't take it that you were "bagging" on the resort but more informative.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I must stay that having stayed in all the sections (AB, MB and Royal Rooms) since the refit, I found the new queen beds to be very comfortable. I guess it's just a case of how firm (or otherwise) a mattress you are used to.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

I stayed in Magnolia Terrace just over a week ago and had no problems with either bed (apart from playing musical beds with 6yr old Daughter)
landl47

Unread post by landl47 »

We were there in February 2014 and had no problem with the beds at all. However, we sleep on an ultra-firm mattress at home so it would have been a problem for us if the beds were soft. As Andre from Admin. says, it's a matter of what you are used to.
ethicaladdict

We were there in Feb as well and found the beds very comfortable but I tend to like a firmer bed - better for my back.