Riverside 14/4/15 -

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
Nicola74

Riverside 14/4/15 -

Unread post by Nicola74 »

Arrival Day - the day didn't get off to the best start. Over an hour delayed getting on the plane then 5 hours into the trip poor daughter was air sick. So anyone with any tips for journey back all advice gratefully received as not a happy bunny. Ok, bad stuff out of the way, onward and upward. Arrival at Orlando though went well, collected bags and made it to MDE check in fine, if a little dazed and confused by that point having been up for a while.

Thank you man on the check in for the stickers for the kids, sorry can't remember his name and thank you Kenneth Johnson our lovely bus driver. The journey took just over 35 minutes, kids asleep for a power nap so they sadly missed the welcoming archway but the grown ups got to enjoy it and all in all I think they needed the sleep.

When we arrived at POR we had done the online checkin so went to that (short) queue. Were checked in in minutes and made our way over to find the room. Wow! We had booked a Royal Room Garden View, but had been upgraded by the lovely room allocation people to a River View, not only that but a corner room too. Don't know if it was the fax I sent following reading this site and I didn't request an upgrade because I thought that would be cheeky but I was so happy when I got to the room. The first picture I took was of the view. We asked for a high floor near the footbridge and that is what we got and more.

As we arrived quite a bit later than expected we didn't get a lot done. We went over to the food court at about 7pm, activated our mugs and went for some food. The food court was busy but not manic and plenty of tables. The food was really good though using our food credits, having now been awake for quite some time proved a challenge. Rookie mistake number 1 - having ordered food for us big kids the smaller kids wanted pizza. Our eldest is classed as an adult for food credits so I asked for one adult pizza and one kids pizza. The adult pizza is huge and counts as 2 QS credits. It actually would have done all 4 of us - so useful to know for future reference. So much of it went to waste because none of us were really up to eating much. However, lesson learnt and plenty more dining credits left so no problem. Apparently if you want to use just one credit ask for a flatbread instead.

Figuring out the plan is not easy for first timers, even with having read up at home and after asking cast members. So anyone out there, don't be afraid to take your time and ask questions. Also don't think that you have to ask for meals for everyone if not everyone wants one and sometimes less credits can go a long way. I'm sure most of you already know all that, but just for anyone using it the first time ....

Anyway after that everyone felt energetic enough to have a boat ride to DD. It was about 8.30pm and only a few minutes wait. No problems, however once there we didn't last long as tiredness kicked in again so took the bus back. Again a few minutes wait but nothing much and not many on the bus. Back to bed and now wide awake at 4am thanks to time difference. But MK and breakfast with Winnie the Pooh this morning. Have a feeling this won't be a long park day though as we're still running on UK time so maybe a siesta and swim later then see where the mood takes us.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Riverside 14/4/15 -

Unread post by Admin »

Great first day Nicola, just sorry about your flight issues and the airsickness. It's a long journey from the UK, and when you add the early wake-up and then the time difference there's no way you won't all be shattered when you arrive. Personally, I find about all we're fit for is unpacking, something light to eat, and then we're in bed before 9pm.

But for those first few days you can really make use of the jetlag in the mornings, as you've found. Our first full day traditionally starts with me and my daughter going for a "moon walk" (as she's describe it since she was about three years old) where we're awake by around 5am, so we quickly throw on a few clothes and head off to explore around the resort before sunrise.

It's so amazingly tranquil and peaceful at that time, and we watch the dawn arrive and we still have plenty of time to wash, get some breakfast, and be at our first park before opening-time so we're early in line at rope-drop. That only lasts for a few days though, once we're over the jetlag we often don't even get away from the resort much before 10am. :) (Lucy's nearly 15 now by the way, but we still go moon-walking on our first day)

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Nicola74

Well day 2 or first full day as I like to call it. We were all up very early. As you say Andre, it's very nice to see the resort that way, so peaceful but it does have its draw backs, hence finding the time to update now while everyone else is snoozing. The first bus left for MK at 6.45am and although we were all up we missed it by just a few minutes. Caught the next one no problem and watched several pass for the other parks too. No queue at that time. We got there nice and early and were let in to the park at about 7.45am for our 8am reservation. Time for a few photos then straight in for breakfast. To be honest none of us were that hungry but the choices on offer were good. Overall it was a bit pricey but we did it for the experience. I'm a big Eeyore fan. Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore all visited with us at our table. Was hoping for some photo pass photographers to be in there but there weren't any, we took plenty ourselves though.

We were all done just after 8.30am so more time for photos in front of the castle. This time there were plenty of photographers around so it was time to see if our Memory Maker was working. Having now checked online yes it was and we asked for one of the magic shots they do and got a great group shot with Olaf.

After that we were off to Peter Pan, a bit early for our first fast pass so went on the carousel first, still early but no queue so we went on PP and then used the fast pass to get on a second time. After that it was the Winnie the Pooh ride. It was 30+ degrees today so sundae time. We were told they counted as snack credits so the kids got one each but they were really big so they needed a little help. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was excellent. At first we thought no photos had been taken on that as there was nothing obvious but we do have a photo and the video on memory maker. This is really great and going on our experience so far I would definitely recommend it, especially to those of you coming for a fortnight. We have lots of photos already and that was really just from a half day as you will see as you read on.

After that we headed for Speedway, the People Mover and Stitch. It was getting a little hot for the kids then and we took advantage of the complimentary iced water as the bottles we'd brought with us were not so cool anymore, a handy tip I'd read on here. We were having trouble using the MDE app in the park and hadn't made a note anywhere else of our fast passes. Something we will do tomorrow. We got to what I thought was our third fast pass, Buzz Lightyear, only to be told by them that we should have been at Big Thunder Mountain. I was a bit confused as to why I would have booked the third ride in a different location, having planned our route clockwise from Fantasyland, but being hot and hungry we headed in that direction. Picked up the app again over there only to find we were right, I had booked Buzz Lightyear so we headed for something to eat instead and amended our third option. We ate at Columbia Harbour House. It was good for me as all I wanted was a tuna sandwich but not a huge amount of choice in there.

Unfortunately tiredness hit our eldest after that and we never made it to our third fast pass. We headed back to POR and after a bit of a rest off to the quiet pool near our room. After that something to eat in the food court, busy but not too bad again, with big plans for Downtown Disney but, two kids that looked like they were about to land face down in their dinner put a stop to that :? , so early night time. Jet lag is saving us a fortune as no one has had the energy to go off and spend lots of money yet, just lanyards and a cuddly Stitch :lol:

The plan for tomorrow is Animal Kingdom. Let's see how long we last for that one after an early night.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Sounds like you're doing things just like we do - first day in MK early, but then head back to the resort after lunch. We normally do a shopping trip to WalMart in the afternoon (we usually have a rental car) and then have a quietish evening and get another early night. Getting up early on the second and usually third days are easy enough, but once we hit days four or five, and have stayed for some evening firework shows, it gets harder! Make the most of the jetlag while you can - arriving in the MK in time to do Peter Pan as a walk-on is a luxury you won't get when you arrive at lunchtime.

You'll probably be done with AK by mid/late afternoon anyway, and the fact that it's a fairly slow-paced, show-heavy, park helps at lot with the tiredness. You can check your FP+ time-slots at any of the kiosks around the parks just by using your magic band if you can't get the app to work. It's pretty data-hungry and if the Wi-Fi is not strong it can play up.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Jet lag is certainly a challenge. I'm glad we don't have to fly to get to WDW! Great advice here from Andre, as usual. Pace yourself and take advantage of all the opportunities for "decompression" at the resort, DTD, etc. If I recall, you'll be there long enough to take it all in, so don't wear yourselves out. Don't forget to rest up and save one evening for a "therapy session" with YeHaa Bob! Hope all continues to go as smoothly and magically as possible. :D :D :D
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
BLAKEY1974

Unread post by BLAKEY1974 »

Hi
Sounds like you are having a great time. I am also from the UK and visit the Riverside resort mid May for 2 weeks with wife and 2 sons ( aged 5 & 9 ). Do you have any tips about getting a room request as I saw you mentioned a fax request? Can I do this and how ? Been planning for a while and having breakfast at Be Our Guest on the morning after we arrive so excited for that.
MardiGroggy

BLAKEY: Andre will probably reply shortly, but in the meantime check out the info he has under the Guest Rooms & Prices section: http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php

Following that advice is well worth the trouble, especially if you are there for an extended stay from the UK. Having a great room as a retreat from the often hectic pace of WDW is a BIG plus! Hope your trip planning is going smoothly.
MardiGroggy

Nicola74

Yes we followed the advice on here, have no idea if it was the fax or just coincidence but I'm thinking the fax played a part and we are in a really lovely spot, very peaceful too. Our breakfast was our first morning and on the plus side that is great because we were all up really early because of the time difference but don't expect to last at the park all day and don't make too many plans for that evening. If you haven't already, I would recommend adding the memory maker package we have nearly 80 photos from just a day and a half in the parks so for us Brits I think it's excellent value as we tend to be her for two weeks. The quick service dining plan is proving really good too once you get in the swing of it and stop being very British and not asking what you can get from your credits. The portion sizes are really big and if you eat at the resort you can use you refill mug but still get a bottled drink with each meal credit so we are getting water to put in the fridge ready to start us off with cold drinks in the parks. However, you don't need to take enough to see you through the day as you can ask for free iced water at the counter service places around the parks. It saves you having to carry bottles all day.

So, day three, but two really as I'm not counting arrival day. Animal Kingdom today. Thanks to the early night we had 2 perky children this morning. Caught the 9am bus and took our time through the first bit and did our first character meets. Went to its Tough to be a Bug, our son wasn't a fan :lol: but at least we didn't have to take him out like some did. Nothing scary about it but he didn't take to it. After that we did Dinosaur. That was great fun, then lunch at Restaurantosaurus which was ok but the kids meal is served in a bucket and spade which went down really well, better than the meal itself. Triceratops Spin and more character meets and the weather really heated up again. But we were making real progress as we made it past lunchtime today ;) We'd fast passed Expedition Everest but when we saw it the kids didn't fancy it so I went solo. Bit nervous as I'm not in to the Universal style roller coasters and wasn't sure if this would be one of those :mrgreen: but I'm so glad I did. It was great, I really enjoyed it. It didn't feel too big or too fast to me and I'm not that adventurous. After that it was the River Rapids. Be prepared to get very wet, we didn't but the people facing us were soaked, it's just pot luck who gets it. We finished it off with the safari which was really good. The kids loved it.

We bought the water bottles with the fan attached on our way out as our daughter in particular seems to wilt really quickly in the heat and that really helped so I'd recommend those for travelling with young children. It does all add to what you will be carrying though. We left the park about 3pm, went for a swim then DD for the evening. Yes, we made it. Was touch and go at one point because they stopped the boats as it looked like a thunder storm was on its way. The bus stop was busy but we got on quickly, however we reached POFQ and we all had to get off for some reason we never really got told. There was very nearly a revolt by some upset people as we were joining a large group already waiting, but they said all of us would be collected first, which then caused a stir in those who had been waiting at FQ but it only took about 5 mins to get us all on our way again.

We went to Wolfgang Puck Express for dinner and that was fantastic. It is covered by the quick service plan and after a couple of days of fast food on paper plates it was really good to eat 'real food'. Plenty on offer for my fussy kids. We have struggled a little with our daughter as due to her needs she has very defined ideas of what she likes to eat but she polished it off and is wanting to go back as soon as possible. We hit the shops, only made it from the Christmas shop to the Lego shop so plenty still to do but our son broke into the pocket money he'd built up and there was a definite theme emerging. We got Gaston's bow and arrows, Prince Charming ( I think) sword and shield and Buzz Lightyears gun. We also have lots of Lego. If your kids love Lego they can build their own characters, 3 for about 10 dollars and they can fill a large cup full of bricks for just over 16. There were loads in it and he was delighted. There was a lovely man on the tills and when my daughter paid for her 3 characters he asked if they liked horses. She was a little confused by the question but when he produced a small Lego horse for her as a gift it was a lovely touch. We'd gone to a different till to my husband and son so he was a little envious but we told him his figures can ride her horse so all good. The boats were running again so we came back to the hotel that way. A very successful day all round.
Nicola74

Hollywood Studios today. We thought we'd try it differently today as we had reservations at Sci fi Diner for 4pm so we started with the pool first. The main pool has been too busy for us in the afternoons after the parks so we headed there for 9am today. It was quiet so it let us take it easy and enjoy it at our own pace. After that we had an early lunch then headed off to the park. I have to say that for us this system didn't work and we won't be trying it again. But I'm sure it will suit others more. The kids wore themselves out at the pool and by the time we'd showered and eaten they were pretty tired so not in the best mood for HS. That being said, in the end we lasted until about 6 but we really didn't get much done. We seem to do better going in the morning then heading back mid afternoon.

We managed the Movie Ride, Muppets, Toy Story Mania and the Beauty and the Beast show. Toy Story was great fun and we'll be doing that again and they both really enjoyed beauty and the beast too. We weren't blown away by Sci fi Diner. We had eaten there when we came as a couple pre kids and the food seemed much better then, served on plates too instead of the baskets. Our server was great and the experience was good fun so it made up for the food. It wasn't bad but I wouldn't recommend it. Early night so that we can get to Epcot for 9am
Nicola74

So we made it to Epcot on Saturday for 9am. We had fast passed mission space but got straight on in the green, less intense line instead. We were going to change our FP+ but they were having major problems and the system wasn't working so we couldn't. The ride was good but if you are claustrophobic you won't like it when they close the cabin and move the front in towards you. I had to stop myself from panicking and asking to get off but once I got past that I was fine :shock: . After that we did test track and that was great but there is so much to do after the ride for the kids that we got carried away and completely forgot about our next fast pass. We did spaceship earth, met mickey and friends and did soarin' . The kids had a great time. We never made it to World Showcase because we were planning an evening in MK and had BOG reservations for dinner. So we had lunch and headed back to the hotel for a short break before heading out again.

We got to MK about 4.30pm. It was open til 2am so we decided to try to keep the kids going for as long as possible to get on some rides while the parades were on. Great decision, it worked really well for us. We got on a couple before dinner and headed to BOG for 6pm. When we checked in we asked to go in the West Wing and I'm so glad we did. It was fantastic. The food was the best we've had so far and I won't spoil it for anyone but the atmosphere in there was so good. Compared with our dining experience at sci-fi, which was roughly the same price, this won hands down. After you eat you go to meet the Beast. Following on from dinner, FP was working again so we got one more FP then set off to see how much we could get done before we pushed our luck with the kids. But they did so well. We got on Haunted Mansion, Small World, Pirates, Splash Mountain, twice and Big Thunder Mountain. We saw some fireworks while going down the big drop on Splash Mountain and while queuing for BTM. As soon as the fireworks were done the queues built up again so we took 2 very tired but happy kids back to Riverside for bed. So 4 days in they have found their groove. Jet lag gone, just about adjusted to the heat, however, riding in the evening worked really well for them, it was cooler, easier to get around and less queuing. For us, a long break in the day doesn't work as they go too sleepy, but a short break and off again worked well.

Today we went back to AK. Again a hotter and more humid day, like when we went there earlier, so they did find it a bit of a struggle. Also finished with a rain storm, but that was well timed because we were on safari and got to see the baby elephants playing in the pool, which our guide said they loved to do in the rain. Saw the festival of the lion king, which our son seemed to enjoy the most. Was a nice break from the heat too. Sat in the wet seats for the rapids today too and got completely soaked. After enjoying Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain last night our daughter decided she was going to tackle Expedition Everest, she enjoyed it and wants to have another go. Plenty of younger ones go on it but it wouldn't be for our son. We lasted til 5pm then short break - mainly for dry clothes after the Rapids :P and off to Wolfgang Puck again for tea, another visit to the Lego store, some very large muffins from Goofy Candy Co to take away for breakfast in the morning. The muffins count as snack entitlement on QSDP and are at least twice the size of those available in resort so they're really good value. It's a quick in room breakfast tomorrow as we're off to Universal. Our daughter has been obsessed with the Harry Potter stories since she was really young so we have to do it. We're not really fans of Universal and have only been once, many years ago, again pre kids. There are lots of rides there that we won't go on but she plans to spend a large portion of her hard saved pocket money in there and we could be coming back with quite a bountiful load.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

We're not big Universal fans either, but there's Universal and then there's Harry Potter - which takes everything to a whole new level of theming and immersion (easily as good as anything at Disney). Your daughter will have an amazing time!

If you haven't done so already, take her to the Warner Bros Studio Tour in Leavesden when you're back in the UK, it's a brilliant look behind the scenes of the film-making world. Not really for the under five or six year olds, but once they are old enough to appreciate the background details it's wonderful (I've been four times so far, and plan to go back in the summer to see the new Hogwarts Express display).

Andre
Nicola74

Oh yes :D we've done that, a couple of summers ago and then she went with school so she's been twice. In need of new t shirts as she's outgrown what she had but I believe there are plans for pigmy puffs, sweets, joke shop stuff etc. she has all the Lego and a wand but I'm sure she won't have trouble spending. So far she has hardly spent anything because she wanted to make sure she has enough for universal. After today there will probably be a spending frenzy :o that pocket money must be burning a hole by now :lol: :lol:
MardiGroggy

Sounds like you have "hit your stride," in more ways than one. Sort of like reaching the top of that first roller coaster elevation and starting down the other side. Hang on and enjoy the rest of the ride! Glad to hear that things are going well. :D

p.s. Don't forget YeHaa Bob!
MardiGroggy

BLAKEY1974

Thanks for the tip about the Muffins at Goofy Candy Co. That's good to know and sounds like you all enjoying it. We did go to Disney/Universal 2 years ago so looking forward to trip in 3 weeks with a bit more knowledge and your report at Riverside helps. Looking forward to your report on Universal. Are you having a day at each park?
Nicola74

No only doing the day I think. We headed straight to the newest bit of HP in Universal Studios. Very good, we went on Gringotts twice. We bought the interactive wands. They were $45 each but what won me over was that they still individual wizards wands boxed up etc. which is just as well as my 2 struggled to get much to happen with them and gave up trying in the end. They are happy with them and at least they chose wizards they don't have already. The fact that they come in the box etc made up for their interactive capability being pants (technical term) in my opinion, though my OH doesn't agree ;)

After lunch at the Leaky Cauldron, and the strangest ploughman's I've ever had :) we caught the train. Btw you can't buy soda drinks in the wizarding world so if you want a coke you need to get it from one of the other areas. The weather hit in the afternoon and they kept closing the outdoor rides. We went in the castle, kids loved it, husband not so much as it really does throw you around. We caught the train back and did a few rides in the other sections, hit the shops and headed out. Must have been about 7pm when we made it back to Riverside and the food court was heaving. I assume because of the weather, so we took everything to go and we're back in the room about 8pm.

Taxi Fares were just under $40 each way, slightly cheaper on way back. At the moment we've no plans to make another visit. Have to say, for us there is no comparison between Universal and Disney. Even the kids as first timers said the same. Customer service was nowhere near the same and $3 for a standard size bag of crisps (chips) ....

Planning a resort morning, then a visit to the Florida Mall this afternoon then see where the evening takes us.

Haven't done Yeehaa Bob yet, not sure if mine will make that yet. Their favourite thing here is the quiet pool near our room. Will give it a go if we are here this evening.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Bob performs Weds to Sat if that's any help, not there on Tuesdays. Well worth going to see though!

What Universal tickets did you get for one day hopping by the way? We'll want to be doing the same in August.

Andre
MardiGroggy

Yep, Andre is correct (Of course he is. What am I saying?) :P No Bob tonight, and it does help immensely if you have the energy, and the inclination, to "participate" in the craziness of the show. But if you like music and just plain old fashioned group fun, it is the best "attraction" at WDW. (And no FP+ required! ;) Just get there early so you get a good table.) Even we old timers like to watch the younger folks jumpin' around and making lots of noise. We even contribute the appropriate Tarzan yells and help remind Bob that his "hair looks GREAT!!!" If you like the familiar music that we more or less grew up with (if we grew up at all), you gotta spend an evening with Bob. As Bob always says: "No one has more fun than us!" :D :D :D

Hope everything continues to move magically along!
MardiGroggy

Nicola74

Well we started the day off at the Florida Mall. Spent too much. They had some really good offers on, particularly in Hollister and Polo. Not shops we normally spend a lot of time in back home but got some good stuff for very little in comparison. The m&m shop was great fun. Lots of different colours that you don't normally get. I'm more smarties than m&ms normally. Those of you in the UK will know what I mean, but we each weighed our own bag out and filled them with colours we wouldn't get just buying a regular bag. We also found a shop that sold snacks etc, I think it was a pharmacy but we picked up some supplies to keep us topped up. I had been looking for Milk Duds with no joy but got some there, a few other bits and some stuff to feed our daughter with on the way home, dry crackers etc, plain and simple to keep the motion sickness at bay.

After that we went back to the resort. We shared a pizza. Just 2 meal credits but for lunch that was enough for all of us. Then some time in the pool before heading off to Fantasmic. Hadn't really registered what nights the show was on here at Riverside but thought tonight would be good for Fantasmic so we headed there. But thanks Andre and swd for steering me right on that one. I think we're going to Boardwalk tomorrow night but maybe the night after.

We fast passed it and got right down at the front, one row back from the very front row, so the first row of the tiered seats, really good view. We bought the kids the interactive Mickey hats with the light up ears. I have to say, they didn't dance as much as I expected but the colours are nice and they actually light up more often when they are not in time with the music. Also the down side of seats at the front was we couldn't see their hats and no hats in front of us to look at :D

Andre, unfortunately when we booked our Universal tickets no one was offering anything other than the 14 day ticket. We had wanted just a 2 or 3 day ticket but looking at all the sites and speaking to a couple of ticket companies we couldn't get anything cheaper than the 14 day pass. If it wasn't for the Harry Potter obsession we really wouldn't have bothered. We checked the pay on the gate price and it still wasn't cheaper so we booked it that way. I had to explain to the kids who Woody Woodpecker was and they looked at me very strangely when I stopped to have my photo taken with the blonde bombshell in the white dress, and trying to explain who Lucy was, well that was impossible. I ended up saying ask your grandad, they're all people that I watched with him :lol: and realised how old I then felt :?

Have to say again, I'm very impressed with the quick service dining plan. We still have over half our credits left and we haven't been consciously watching them. You can get a small fruit pot, which is melon, apple and pineapple for a snack credit. Pop it in the fridge the night before. This does me fine for breakfast, though some mornings I am using a meal credit for the pancakes and bacon. Having the fridge is great. It's made such a difference.

Magic Kingdom tomorrow morning then we'll see where the mood takes us after that, maybe Epcot.
BLAKEY1974

Thanks for the updates and info.Also had to get a 14day pass for Universal which was still cheaper than a day on the gate.We will probably have a day at IOA and a day at Universal Studios.If you can get into Be Our Guest I think that would be a great use of the quick service credit.I have been having a good look at what you can get for the snack credits too.Pleased to know about the size of the pizzas at the Riverside s.Look forward to your report later.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

A one-day Universal hopper ticket, which is all we'll probably want to do just the full Harry Potter experience, is $156.56 (inc tax) on Universal's website, or about £100. Ouch!

Could you let me know where you got a UK ticket cheaper, as the best I can find is £135 for a Universal 2-park bonus ticket, which seems to be an unlimited 14-day ticket (and as such is good value, but more than we need).

Andre
BLAKEY1974

Got my tickets from Travel Republic in the UK for the 14 day Universal pass. Currently they are £126 I think for an adult but I got mine a few months ago for £111 so a little more than a one day gate price but I think you need at least 2 days between the parks so still good value. Hope that helps. I don't really need a 14 day pass either but worked out better value
Nicola74

Our tickets for universal came from Florida Attactions I think. Yes BOG would be a good use of the quick service credit during the day.

We had a very long but very good day yesterday. We started at MK. Not too busy and we managed to get on loads of rides. Even front row on seven dwarfs and our youngest managed arms up and everything ;) . There's no stopping him now. We had lunch at Cosmic Ray's and that was really good. The chicken sandwich was really nice and with the chocolate gelato for dessert no ice cream needed til later :D . At about 3pm we caught the monorail over to Epcot. We did Test Track and Spaceship Earth then headed off to get that ice cream while we walked round World Showcase. I've always enjoyed World Showcase but the children weren't too impressed as they wanted to know where all the rides were. My husband got fish and chips in UK. Not bad, not very many chips though but plenty of fish. If you see the chocolate in the shop there it's very expensive of course. I got strip steak and fries at the quick service in America and that was very good for a QS steak. We made it all the way round. They finally got a ride, the boat ride at Mexico and then we went for a sit down in a good spot to watch the fireworks. After making it back to Riverside, I'd promised them a swim earlier in the day, they still had the energy so they even managed a night time swim.
Nicola74

A really heavy downpour delayed our plans this morning. We had meant to finish Animal Kingdom and be back to Riverside for lunch but we ended up staying there until 3pm instead. We managed to do the last bits of what we had planned however, the kids wanted to pick up a yeti each and I said lets get them at Downtown. Having now looked there they don't sell them. We asked at the tills where sold them and she said Hollywood Studios. I don't know if she was confused as to where the ride was because she didn't actually mention Animal Kingdom. Anyway, if anyone out there knows if they sell the cuddly yetis anywhere but in the ride shop I'd be grateful for the heads up as I may have to make an unscheduled stop otherwise.

So we had a short pit stop back at the resort and then headed into Downtown Disney as we had reservations at House of Blues. I wandered round the shops while the 3 of them went into Disney Quest. Our youngest enjoyed it most, not my thing hence me opting out. We met back up for dinner. I have to say that for years I've said I'd like to go there and I finally booked it this time. The food was good and in the same price bracket as Wolfgang Puck Express and BOG however still not on a level with either of them. Incidentally, if you booked with Walt Disney Travel Company there is a 20% off coupon in the pack that they send you shortly before you travel. So excellent value but I was actually disappointed because House of Blues has always conjured up ideas of BB King etc for me and I was expecting that sort of laid back, musical atmosphere but it wasn't like that at all.

We had a slow wander back to the boat and finished the evening off with a quick dip for the kids and a cocktail for me.

Having burned through their pocket money that they'd been saving up for this trip they're turning to bank of mum and dad. But I have to say that thanks to the quick service dining plan and the $200 gift card we got in the deal we booked we haven't spent anything like what we thought we might. Our main expense was our trip to the mall - which we'd planned for - and if it wasn't for the dining reservations we've made we wouldn't have spent very much extra on food either. We still have plenty of snack credits and meal credits left and haven't been consciously taking care over what we use. Each time you use it they tell you what you have left. Having now used it, even if it wasn't in the package at the time of booking I would seriously consider paying for it anyway. We don't tend to do the more fancy dining as I'm the only one of us with a more adventurous pallet ;) so we wouldn't invest in one of the other plans and to be honest if we did I don't know if we would get good value for money as we are now feeling very full and the kids seem to be leaving at least half a plate as it is. I don't think I mentioned this before, but if you order a salad even they tend to be huge, especially at Wolfgang Puck Express. I also managed to get us a lunchtime BOG reservation this morning for Saturday, so don't panic, it's not impossible to get in.
BLAKEY1974

Planning on taking the kids to Disney Quest as we haven't been there. Is it good and was it expensive can I ask ?If you haven't been in the T Rex at Downtown I would recommended it for the kids to eat
Nicola74

Staying on site Disney Quest is free. My husband said he got a bit of motion sickness from some of the stuff but our son, 7 loved it. Mainly racing games and shooting games so daughter wasn't as impressed. Not been to T Rex. Looks good though.

Did Hollywood Studios today. It was really hot and really busy today but we got on what we wanted to. Just me and our daughter went in Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster. She loved them both so it's only Space Mountain left and she's done the lot, however, it's so long since I've done that one that I can't remember much about it. Anyone know if it goes upside down? I remember feeling like I could have fallen out as I leant sideways, obviously you can't but am I remembering the right ride as I've been on the black hole in th UK years ago and I don't know if I'm mixing them up.

Requested a later check out time today and they said it had been approved but MDE still shows 11am. Again, anyone out there know if it just takes a little time to update or should I be double checking it?

Had fun at the pool after the park now off for another boat ride to Downtown