Food Court Refurbishment

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
mkeel

Food Court Refurbishment

Unread post by mkeel »

We are planning to stay at French Quarter in September for a week. I heard a rumor that the food court may be closed at that time for refurbishment. Any news on this ??
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Food Court Refurbishment

Unread post by Admin »

There isn't any news that I am able to post officially at this time......

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
mkeel

Unread post by mkeel »

Are you able to email any information personally? If not, do you have an idea of when anything may be announced?
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

What I am able to post is in the News pages (http://www.portorleans.org/news.php?first=300416). Please feel free to read between the lines as to what might be happening... ;)

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Floridasun

Unread post by Floridasun »

Is there any update on this? We are staying Aug 18th to Sep 1st and chose this resort partly due to the food court as we are on the quick service dining plan. Wondering if I should change resorts before it's too late??
Floridasun

Unread post by Floridasun »

ignore me. I just realised This was French Quarter!!
gholden

Unread post by gholden »

We have a trip planned for July 21-26. We received notification from Disney that the French Quarter food court will be closed for renovation during our stay. It does not give a date for renovation completion. It did say an "alternative dining experience adjacent to the lobby will be available." There will be grab and go food available. Bus transportation will be provided to the Riverside dining facilities as an alternative. Again, this applies to our stay in July. I would contact French Quarter to see if it will impact your September stay.
mjfster

Unread post by mjfster »

We are staying the week of September 11th and we recieved a letter saying the refurbishments would be taking place during our stay
KingNothing

Unread post by KingNothing »

Just returned from FQ.

I don't know how else to say this, so I'll just say it: the FQ Food Court is worse in every imaginable way from the way it was.

- The decor is bad. It's supposed to be a "float under construction" but the floors are now dark gray, the ceilings in the food area are white, the ceilings in the seating area are black, and it is dark and terribly bland.
- The food area now has four coolers in the middle of the floor. There is NO ROOM to maneuver if the food court is busy. Now imagine people opening up big swinging doors to those coolers, with people lined up to check out, etc. It is miserable.
- Your favorite food is likely gone, except beignets. Fried shrimp? Gone. Excellent chicken quesadilla? Gone. Simple grab-and-go desserts (cheesecakes, carrot cakes)? Gone. Ice cream? Dramatically limited from before. Hope you don't have children at this resort now - or if you do, they never tire of burgers and steak fries.
- The Coke Freestyle machines are there, and of course - of COURSE - the older crowd and children take forever using them. I have no idea what they were thinking; there should at least be one or two of the old style fountains.

I was so severely disappointed in this remodel; there was plenty of possibility to make this already-good food court great, but it has gone backwards dramatically. It's dark and whatever the opposite of cheerful is, the food area itself is insanely cramped now, and many favorites have been removed. I hope they have plenty of feedback and make some major changes.