Which building

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
royhan

Which building

Unread post by royhan »

I have just taken advantage of a good price to reserve a Garden View room at Port Orleans French Quarter. Which building (s) is this likely to be? Thank you.
MardiGroggy

Re: Which building

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

It could be any building. They all have at least some rooms that face the landscaped courtyards and "streets." The Garden Rooms at FQ are very pleasant and a reasonably good value. We have stayed in several over the years. As I think you already know, you can always put in a room request, if you think you would prefer a particular building for other reasons. If you haven't been to FQ before, I think you will really enjoy it...unless you are going to be there while the Food Court is being refurbished. :roll:
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

To echo what Steve said, if you take a look at the floorplan maps on http://www.portorleans.org/floorplans.php you could be placed in any of the rooms coloured green on the plans. One thing to note is that some of the ground floor rooms overlooking the pool in building 5 (which you would think would be sold as Pool View) are actually Garden View category, so you are perfectly at liberty to request one of those and get a really good location. That said, POFQ is a pretty small resort so nowhere is exactly a long walk anyway.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
royhan

Unread post by royhan »

Thank you both for your helpful replies. We have stayed in POR on several occasions, going back to its Dixie Landing days, and had never contemplated switching to POFQ because we enjoy it at POR. The only reason we have switched on this occasion is the price. The pound has taken a sharp drop against the dollar after Britain voted to leave the European Union. POFQ is currently much cheaper than POR. Admin, would you be kind enough to help me with my poor plan reading. We will need two rooms. I like your suggestion about the ground floor rooms in Building 5. Which room numbers should I request. Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Tell me about it, the tourist dollar rate for us Brits has indeed plunged. :( I bought several thousand dollars at $1.447 on the night of the referendum, once it was becoming obvious which way the result was learning, and that the rate was as high as it was going to be for some considerable time. If I had left it until the next day, my rate would have dropped by about 15c.

Rooms 5109 to 5114 would be great choices (the final two in that block would be nice too, but they are Accessible rooms). That block would give you views something like this photo, but on the ground floor (so there would be a low hedge and attractive wrought-iron fencing between you and the 'street' beside pool, but still a very nice location):

Touringplans can show you the exact views from each room along that block: https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/85/ ... g?hotel=84

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
royhan

Unread post by royhan »

Thank you very much. Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

We, too, have stayed at POR many times, also going back to the Dixie Landings days. We have enjoyed all the things that Riverside has to offer, and never regretted any time we have spent there. However, I think it is only fair to warn you that once you stay at FQ, you may get hooked on the charming and more leisurely, genteel pace of the smaller, more intimate resort. In any event, even if you end up preferring Riverside, you probably will not be disappointed with FQ as being second best. That is why I have said many times that the combination of the two "sister" properties is a unique feature of the Disney experience. You can stay at either, enjoy whatever activities or features (from either resort) that appeal to you, and also easily connect with Disney Springs, all during one stay. I can't think of any other Disney property that offers all the different things that happen under the Port Orleans "umbrella." We always book our rooms at either resort based on our mood at the time, or the available rooms/rates, and then spend plenty of time at BOTH places during our stay. You just can't go wrong either way. Enjoy!
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
royhan

Unread post by royhan »

Thank you Steve. I appreciate your comments.