January 1st time visit

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
Jimmyfaldoo

January 1st time visit

Unread post by Jimmyfaldoo »

My family and I are visiting the Riverside on January 10th for 5 nights and have booked a garden room. Hopefully the resort won't be too busy at that time of year and we will be lucky with the weather. I am a bit stuck as to what room to request (if any) though. Both AB and MB seem to have their positives. I wondered if AB might be a bit too shady in the winter and perhaps we might be better in MB. Is there an area of AB that is more open in terms of trees? Other than that I will probably be requesting a corner room and either the 2nd or 3rd floor depending on which section we stay. In terms of buildings, my order of preference would probably be 38, 39, 26 in AB and either building in MB. I would like to be able to walk down to the French Quarter easily as well as have reasonably good access to the main pool. We will have a car but may use the bus from time to time. Will certainly give the boat ride a whirl too. Many thanks for any advice, particularly on Alligator Bayou or Magnolia Bend, garden rooms only though, not preferred or royal. Thanks.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: January 1st time visit

Unread post by Admin »

You seem to have thought it through pretty well already to be honest. MB vs AB very much a personal choice in terms of the theming and decor. The only practical difference is that the AB rooms have an extra fold-down Murphy bed which is great for kids, but that different unit does slightly reduce the available storage drawer space. MB rooms might be considered more airy as there is sometimes less vegetation outside.

Overall I think I slightly prefer the AB rooms as they are more 'fun', especially for kids, but I also like the MB rooms a lot too. I wouldn't be disappointed with either to be honest, but more importantly I would ask to be located relatively close to the main buildings rather than in the furthest corners of the resort. For AB I tend to suggest 16 and 17 are good requests, while for the mansions Magnolia Terrace is nice. However if you are going to fax in a request tell them WHY you are making these requests rather than just giving a building choice. The mansions in particular are pretty big, and while there are some rooms right next to the footbridge that leads across Ol' Man Island (where the feature pool is located) to the main buildings, there are other rooms that are much further away. So a request for "mansion building room, ideally building 85, but close to the Ol Man Island bridge" would be more useful than just stating the building number.

The closest rooms in terms of walking distances to French Quarter are those in the Royal section, but otherwise if you've got fairly quick access to the POR main buildings then that will also mean you have shorter walks to POFQ than from some areas. Magnolia Terrace would probably be the closest in terms of walking, but see the resort maps (and Google satellite views) for a better idea of how the overall layout works.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -