On Site [August 1-7, 2010]

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
wlaustin54

On Site [August 1-7, 2010]

Unread post by wlaustin54 »

Well we are hear at Port Orleans French Quarter. We arrive at 12:30 well ahead of the 3:00 check-in time but they had a room ready and we got checked in and off the the Magic Kindom for most of the day. The room is very nice and very clean. The grounds surrounding the buildings (we are in #7) are breathtaking. Everything is a very short walk. Had a small problem get on the internet service but talked to "PAT" in the IT department - she had me up and typing in very short order. Had diner at Boatwrights. Simply delicious. I am from South Carolina, the home of corn bread but Boatwright's has the best corn bread I have ever tasted. It is sweet cornbread for those of you who do not live in the south. Alice was our waitress and was wonderful. Both the wife and I had the prime rib which was cooked perfectly. For desert I had the apple pie with vanilla ice cream and the wife had the Banana's Foster both were very good. Wife ate most of mine. A great cup of coffee completed the meal and we are very satisfied. We have returned to the room to unback and rest after a long day driving and in the park. Big storm going on outside - which is normal for the Southern U.S. I can confirm the TV is not a flat screen but who really cares. So Far we are very satified with our choice.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: On Site

Unread post by Admin »

Sounds great, I hope the storm lets up for you! Keep us posted with how your trip goes, it sounds like you've having a great time already though. Glad you liked Boatwright's, I hadn't eaten there for a good many years, until we met up with some friends there last year and we really enjoyed it too.

If you get a chance to ask at the front desk to see if anyone (maybe a manager?) knows any more about the possible rooms refurbs at POFQ that'd be a great help, as lots of people want to know if anything is really happening, and when.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
wlaustin54

Another good day at Disney. Did get a chance to talk to two managers who shared with me that Rehap will start with Building 7 in October of this year. That was all they were willing to share. More on today's visit after diner. We have reservations at Captain Jack's at DownTown Disney.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Neat, thanks for the info, I'll think I'm going to add a FAQ about the rehabs as a lot of people are interested.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
wlaustin54

Second day at Port Orleans complete. Glad to report that we are still quite satified with The French Quarter. It is so peaceful and quiet here. Stopped by the pool this afternoon, didn't have my cozy, so we just looked. It was absolutely spotless and the water was very clear. Not at all crowded. In fact the park was not packed. We walked on all lthe popular rides without having to use a single fast pass. Bus service from the resort is great. The longest we have had to wait was 10 minutes. We ate at downtown Disney - Captain Jack's Seafood - the food was fine - service O.K. but nothing to write home about. We took the boatride back to the resort and I must say it was not a peacful cruise - I own a 24' boat and there must of been something wrong with the engine on this boat as it was very loud all the way back. We will try another trip just to see if this was a one off thing. Maid service was very good but they didn't show up until 4:00pm. We were leaving for another park so it was no problem. The entire staff here is doing a great job to make us feel welcome!! One benefit of this resort is the direct service to the Magic Kingdom by bus - It is great not having to go to the transportation control center and change to a boat or montorail to get to the park.
wlaustin54

Well we are still here at Port Orleans French Quarter and we still couldn’t be happier. Room has been kept clean, staff has been very nice and everything we need is close at hand. This is a very quiet resort and if its peace and quiet you are after, this is the place. Busses are reliable and we have barely moved the truck since we arrived. Tonight we ate at the Rose and Crown Pub in EPCOT – as my wife of 37 years is a Brit and wanted some Yorkshire Pudding, and sticky pudding. Food was fine service was good but so far our best meals have been at Boatwright’s in Riverside. The Disney Dining Plan has really save us money and keeps us up and running. Looking forward to another day tomorrow.
wlaustin54

Well we had to say good-bye to Disney and Port Orleans this morning and after a 7 hour drive glad to report we are safely home. We truly had a great time, our 8th trip to Disney. We made an excellent choice in selecting the French Quarter, and I thank this site for all the wonderful information that helped us make this choice. The single best thing about the French quarter was the "Peace and Quiet" after a long day of rush, and tumble with hundreds of thousands of folks it is so nice to be able to return to the resort and stroll quietly along the river path, or sit in an old french courtyard in total isolation. If you want to relax after a busy day this is the palce. The rooms are great, maid service was wonderful, and all the Cast Members very helpful. We totally enjoyed ourselves. I know this is a resort site but I would feel remiss if I didn't mention how wonderful Disney's Dining Plan was. We have never used this service before and that was a mistake. For a very resonable price we ate like royality for the entire week. We were very skeptical wondering if there were "Strings Attached" to this plan. We ate anything on the menu we wanted and everytime there was No Charge! We enjoyed some of the nicest resturants ate the best food and never paid a penny. The counter service meals were equally as generous and equally as good. This is a great savings over what we would've pay out of pocket without the plan. So the trip is over for us, and we just hope your visit is as good as ours!
Gev

Re: On Site [August 1-7, 2010]

Unread post by Gev »

What a great post; thank you so much for taking the time out of your holiday. It was good to hear you had a good experience at Boatwrights; I'm thinking of making ADRs for there for our first night at the resort next year. We too have the dining plan for the first time ever and I'd be really interested to hear of where else you ate and of any restaurants you can recommend. As a fellow Brit, I can understand your lovely wife's yearning for Yorkshire pud; it's just got to be done, just like fish and chips. :D The resort sounds wonderful, just our cup of tea.
wlaustin54

Hey Gev,

I tell you that the Disney Dining Plan is well worth the money - we ate well the entire time we were there. As far as table service we ate at Boatwright’s, The Rose and Crown at Epcot, and Captain Jack's at Downtown Disney. We really wanted to eat at the Canadian Restaurant in Epcot (LeCellair, I think) but it has been booked solid for the past three months and we couldn't get in. I hear the food there is the best in the park. The Counter Service meals are great anywhere and very convenient we used a couple for breakfast and a couple for lunch and one didn't get used - we had a counter service meal at an oriental concession near Expedition Everest that was to die for. We had the sweet and sour chicken and could not finish it! I think the best plan is to decide what it is you want out of the meal, character experience, buffet, fine dining, etc. and then plan you meals accordingly. Make reservations well in advance for the more popular venues. Oh, and bring a pair of pants a little larger you may need it!
mama2disneyfan

Unread post by mama2disneyfan »

Thanks very much for sharing your holiday with us. We have our first trip to the French Quarter planned for March 2011 and it sounds wonderful.
Thank you again!

P.S. We love the dining plan!
wlaustin54

O.K. it has been seven years since we have back to Disney... but we have just made our reservations for early July 2017... of course we chose the French Quarter for our visit... we are bringing our 8 year old Granddaughter for her first visit and our 20 year old, College Student Grandson for his 7th visit. It will be #9 for the wife and I. Hope the resort is as good as it was the last time we were there.... of course we chose the meal plan again and have ordered our wrist bands for the visit... that is new and should be easier than keeping up with the older tickets.... Can't wait.... and of course I will report on our experiences once we arrive.... :)