January 24-31, 2011

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
CBA79

January 24-31, 2011

Unread post by CBA79 »

Greetings fellow Port Orleaners!

Myself and a friend visited WDW the week of January 24-31, 2011. Having stayed at the Contemporary in May of 2010, we decided we wanted something more within our budget. After considering a value resort, Pop Century, and EVERY other moderate resort, we settled on Port Orleans French Quarter. In fact, it was this site that helped make the decision. Having maps, reviews and tips for the PO resort at our disposal made our "blind" resort selection virtually worry-free.

The resort itself:
We checked in around 2 PM on Monday the 24th. We were given a room, 6137, and told it was recently refurbished. To our complete delight, it was. The bathroom was immaculate. The beds were larger than we planned for. The TV was modern. And the digital thermostat was a nice touch (though the heater gave off that newly warmed smell the first night!). We were also "upgraded" to a water view room. It was such a treat to wake each morning and walk out to the view of the river just a few yards from the room.

The lobby and concierge area was amazingly inviting. There was always a friendly face. And the gift shop offered all the little amenities we needed throughout the week. Sassagoula Floatworks offered very good food. The chicken quesadilla was delicious (and HUGE!). While the food court was never too crowded, the line for burgers and cheese steaks got a bit jumbled at times. I wish they'd offer the "pagers" for each cook-to-order window like those used for the pizza station.

We were worried about the walking distances at the resort, but it was a cake walk if anything. From our room to the food court and lobby was three minutes tops. I even walked to the shop at Riverside from my room in about ten minutes. Don't let the distances on the maps worry you!

The grounds were clean and the views were awesome. You can tell the staff takes pride in this resort!

The buses:
Overall, the bus service was perfect. The wait AT the resort was between a few moments (nearly missed the bus!) to a 15 minutes (just missed the bus!) The wait on the way back to the resort varied to between 3 or so minutes to nearly 25 minutes (from Epcot during the day on a Sunday).
To Magic Kingdom and Epcot the bus was direct (no stop at Riverside).
To Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios the bus did stop at all four Riverside stations (adding about 10 minutes to the ride).
From Magic Kingdom the bus was direct to the French Quarter.
From Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios the bus made stops at both resorts BUT French Quarter was ALWAYS the first stop.

Refurbishment update:
As of our trip, all of buildings 6 and 7 have been refurbished. Building 5 was completely shut down and undergoing refurbishment (surprisingly quietly). Building 4 was closed when we arrived, but by the end of that week some rooms were occupied while others were still being worked on. Lastly, a staff member said Building 2 or 3 was scheduled to begin refurbishment by mid-February.

The weather:
It was very nice, with one exception. It rained A LOT on the night of Tuesday the 25th. My group was in Japan at Epcot and broke out the ponchos. Still, we were soaked. My socks were dyed blue from my jeans. Grr! (Note: the bus stop at Epcot has an unusual roof --- each tile has a hole punched in the middle allowing water to stream down onto guests.)

Other than that one night, the temperature was cool each morning, around 45ish each day, and warmed to the low 70s each afternoon. Long-sleeves were our friends, but normal coats would have been too warm.

Overall:
Port Orleans French Quarter is going to be my resort of choice for the foreseeable future. The staff was perfect. The grounds were beautiful. The food was fine. The buses were not a problem. I don't know when I will be back, but POFQ WILL see me again soon! Oh, and feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them if I can...
traceyk

Re: January 24-31, 2011

Unread post by traceyk »

What a great review. thank you!
We are visiting POFQ for the very first time in August and just cannot wait!
Regards, Tracey
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Thanks for posting that, it must have taken you a while to type it all out but it certainly sounds like you had a great time - other than that bit of weather, but I guess that's not Port Orleans' fault. :) Another convert I think!

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
CBA79

Unread post by CBA79 »

traceyk wrote:What a great review. thank you!
We are visiting POFQ for the very first time in August and just cannot wait!
Regards, Tracey
You are going to have the time of your life! Enjoy it!
CBA79

Unread post by CBA79 »

admin wrote:Thanks for posting that, it must have taken you a while to type it all out but it certainly sounds like you had a great time - other than that bit of weather, but I guess that's not Port Orleans' fault. :) Another convert I think!

A.
Yes, another convert!

Also, there were a few things since I posted that I remembered:

1) We wandered to the Grand Floridian one day and decided to take their bus to the Animal Kingdom. It amazed me how FEW buses show up at that resort. You'd think they'd show up more frequently for such a large and, dare I say, fancy resort. But no! It was a FULL half hour. I felt sorry for those looking to go to Hollywood Studios from the GF. They were there when we got to the bus stop, but the AK bus was the first to show. I wonder how long they had to wait?!?

2) NO, there were no grab handles in the tub.

3) In the "square" between buildings 5 and 6, the resort played a movie on an inflatable screen on Friday and Saturday nights beginning around 7 PM. ("Bedtime Stories" and "Mulan")

4) Be sure to take your group and camera to the fountain between buildings 1 and 2. It was a great spot to capture a resort memory.
Scorpiostinglen

Unread post by Scorpiostinglen »

Thank you for your review. My son and I are staying at our first Disney resort, The French Quarter at the end of March. So, I am looking for all the helpful hints that I can get. I really wanted to stay in a river view room but budget for us is a big issue right now. You said that they upraded you to a river view. Any suggestions on how we could get a free upgrade or any suggestions as to a building request that is very close to the river? How do I make requests before I arrive? Thank you for your posting.
CBA79

Unread post by CBA79 »

Scorpiostinglen,

All I did was call Disney through the booking phone number (1-407-W-DISNEY) and ask to "confirm a booking." When the lady came on the line she did indeed confirm everything. I then asked if she could make a special room request note on the booking. I asked for a first floor room facing the river IF it was available. Of course, she tried to sell me the upgrade. I graciously declined, explaining I had not budgeted for it.

It was as easy as that! A simple call!

You can also fax the hotel, you'll have to google that number, and make the request in writing about three or four days before you arrive (as the hotel does not get the reservation info before that). But, I learned though a friend that the hotels nearly always use the trip booking note requests before they start going through the faxed requests.

I wish you luck. But, of course, be prepared to only get what you booked. Requests are just that, not promises... But hey, the worst that can happen is you end up at DISNEY!
mickey`s mate

Unread post by mickey`s mate »

Thanks for great review. I heard a lot of good things about building 6 and have requested it with travel agent, along with river-view and first floor room. This then I heard first floor in America is actually ground floor in UK can anyone confirm this.
Thanks.

Being a non-driver and essentially staying on site, how close is nearest off site supermarket/garage for cheaper bits like crisps, milk, drink, etc?
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Correct, the ground-level floor is referred to as the "first floor" in America, with the next level above the ground being the "second floor" and the top floor at French Quarter is thus the "third floor".

I'd use "top", "middle" or "bottom" in your request to be safe. :) Oh, and don't try walk on the "pavement" either, that's the part of the road where the cars drive...

Two nations divided by a common language.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
mickey`s mate

Cheers for the very prompt response. :D

It was probably all the good reviews POFQ recieved on your website that made me decide to go there, along with the dibb.

I`m taking my family for the first time at the start of November and just can't wait. Considering disney`s a bit quieter at this time of year do you think my room requests will be honoured. :roll:
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

You stand a very good chance of getting general requests honoured during quiter times, and early November is indeed pretty quiet.

You can always contact the resort just before you travel (around a couple of days out) if you want to reinforce your request.

A.
mickey`s mate

Thanks again for quick response. Would you recomend doing this by fax or international phone call, as I heard different things about doing this.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I tend to fax, and I've been told by a front-desk supervisor at Riverside that they DO read faxed requests, but you may prefer to phone and speak to a room allocator directly (ask specifically to do so, as your call will initially be answered by an off-site call centre!).

International phone calls are no longer any issue to be honest, I never pay more than 1p per minute to call the states from the UK (try www.telediscount.co.uk for good rates without having to pre-pay or subscribe - just dial via their connection number).

A.
CBA79

Unread post by CBA79 »

I just thought I'd put this in my own trip report:

I am going back...

I have a sickness and it's name is Disney. And POFQ is my home away from home... January 2012 can't get here quickly enough!
BBQMommy

Unread post by BBQMommy »

Thank you for this trip report. DD7 and I are doing a Mommy/Daughter long weekend during this time in 2012. I let her choose the resort and thankfully she picked POFQ. We are doing a 'Garden View'. I have never stayed at POFQ and am so excited to see it. :D
truduski

Unread post by truduski »

I will be there 20th-26th as well with my gang... thanks for weather info!